Thursday, December 4, 2014

What is the Montessori Method?


 I first learned about this parenting method in a psychology class I had in college and everyone in the class thought of it as a ridiculous method. When Nathaniel turned one I knew I wanted most of our day to be filled with fun and educational materials. I wanted to redo his room into a toddler independent fun room. Doing lots of research I came across the Montessori method again and it was like a lightbulb went off in my head! 

So let me introduce you to the wonderful Maria Montessori who created the Montessori Method. She was an Italian doctor and teacher who introduced the method to US classrooms in 1904. She believed that children learn best when they "choose" what activities they want to participate in. She considered children from the age of birth to 6 so have the ultimate "absorbent mind." During this period children have the ability to learn and assimilate from the world around them. 

Children have a natural desire to teach themselves and become independent. In a Montessori classroom the child is given the freedom (within boundaries) to do as they want. The teachers are there to assist and direct while the materials and activities are specially designed to stimulate a child's intellect. Each child works at their own level. 

In a Montessori classroom you will see that everything has a purpose. It is our job to prepare the environment for the children, so there isn't anything that the child can't see or touch. All of the furniture and equipment is scaled down to a child's size and is always within reach. It is a very organized environment so that the child doesn't get overwhelmed. You will mostly see everything made out of wood. 

I have brought the Montessori method into my home for Nathaniel. We will have some Montessori blogs coming up so wanted to explain what it was first before jumping in. If anyone has any questions please feel free to comment below or on my Instagram @FlawlessGlam. 

No comments:

Post a Comment